Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Is Disney to Blame?

I for one love Disney. I was raised on it. Over the years, I have heard numerous comments regarding the negative images that Disney promotes. In the past, I have objected to these comments. I watch Disney with my kids on a daily basis. For the most part, we have enjoyed a lot of good laughs and good life lessons from Disney programming.

I am not saying that it is perfect, not at all. In fact, I was quite shocked by an episode of Drake and Josh. In this particular episode, the two brothers argue non-stop to the point of being down right annoying. They go on a spoof talk show called Dr. Phyllis. Ha! Ha!

To make a long story short, the doctor is no match for their constant bickering and physical fighting. The characters reflect back on some 30 episodes in each of which the two brothers inevitably become violent. Seeing it all at once was a definite eye opener for me. I did not get that the relationship was so abusive until just now while watching it with my eleven year old.

One program my pre-teen girls are totally into right now is a program by Disney called H2O. I feel good about this program as there is no violence and it has a good Disney message at the end about the value of friendship. You have to admit that the happy ending is a Disney trademark, but I still watch it with them, just in case.

No comments: