Sunday, November 30, 2008

Parental Control Over Music Downloads Has To Improve

I don't know about you, but I am shocked at the video images and song lyrics that our children are exposed to with the click of a button. Like I said yesterday, my husband and I were so surprised by a song that a friend was sharing with our 11 year old daughter, that we outlawed rap in our home and on our children's future ipods (coming soon on December 25th).

I think that we parents are so busy with other things, especially in a household with 3 or more children, that our attention is easily diverted from what our kids are seeing and hearing on sights such as You Tube and My Space. If you are completely aware of everything that your children are seeing and hearing, ask yourself if it is appropriate for your child to hear and see at his or her age.

I thought policing TV and movie images was tough! The Worldwide Web is a force to be reckoned with. I know it is tough, but we have to take the time to do a better job of controlling the images and messages our children are being bombarded with on a daily basis. It is vital that we do. After all, if we don't control it, who will? Ask yourself, Do I want mass media controlling my kids?

No comments: